Thursday, July 4, 2013

Poppy Seed Salad Recipe


When My husband and I were getting married my husband's family hosted a recipe wedding shower for me. Best concept ever! Everyone gave me a family favorite recipe along with whatever dried herbs and spices the recipe required. Not only did they provide me with an awesome collection of go to recipes but they stocked my spice cabinet. They even made some of the recipes for us to eat at the shower and they had balloons that were weighted with kitchen tools for me. All-in-all best shower ever!

For the shower, my sister-in-law shared her recipe for this salad. I was thrilled, I had enjoyed it at several family gatherings and it was always fabulous. This recipe was passed on to her from her mother-in-law who had received it many years ago from a friend. No one is quite sure where it originates from. I was just looking over the recipe card and the name provided was "Salad" on one side of the card and "Salad Dressing" on the other. Oh well, I am not sure of the name so I will just call it Poppy Seed Salad since it is loaded in poppy seeds. 

I have made some slight alterations from what has been passed down. The poppy seed originally were just tossed in to the salad. I prefer them to be mixed in to the dressing. I have only had it served to me with romaine lettuce which is great but I really like it with baby spinach. I have also started putting dried cranberries in it which takes it to a whole new level of yummy. The recipe was not given to my sister-in-law as a main course dish but she recommended adding chicken to have a complete meal. I have also added leftover grilled flank steak and that was great too. 

Salad Ingredients gathered

Dressing ingredients gathered

Dressing ingredients (except poppy seeds) poured in to blender cup.

Blend till well combined and sugar and salt are dissolved, about 3 min. It's normal for it to take on a white-ish color. If you don't own an immersion/stick blender any type of blender will do. I love my immersion blender! Fast, easy and little cleanup.

Pour in the poppy seeds and stir. Dressing done!

Layer the salad ingredients. You can toss with the dressing before serving but I prefer to let everyone do their own.

Poppy Seed Salad

Dressing
1 c oil
1/2 c apple cider vinegar
1/4 c sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/4 c poppy seeds

Mix everything except the poppy seed with blender (I use my stick/immersion blender). Stir in the poppy seeds.  

Salad
baby spinach or romaine lettuce
red onion, thinly sliced
canned oriental rice noodles (despite the name these are not wheat free)
sliver almonds
dried cranberries
grilled chicken

Layer ingredients and toss with dressing.



 I hope you and your family love this salad as much as we do. 

Thanks for stopping by the nest!
Darla



No comments:

Post a Comment