Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Detox & Garlic Salad Dressing Recipe


Well I wasn't to far off with my recent lentil soup recipe post. It fit my qualifications for a detox recipe. According to the reading I've done it contains a few cleansing ingredients. Lentils for fiber and garlic and onions for cell development and protection. Plus I had always heard that garlic is great for fighting general illnesses and bacteria growth. The next time I think I will try using thyme instead of oregano since it to has healing powers too according to those who are experts. I also read here how (beef) bone broth is excellent for brain cell development and health. So maybe next time try bone broth in place of the box stock. The rest of the ingredients are at least benign and aren't on the experts avoid list. And I am happy to say my family ate the soup with out complaint (well at least most of us, my daughter is going through that picky eater toddler phase).

Let me be clear I am not an expert in these matters, I am just an every day Mom who need to expedite feeling better after a horrible eating jag. I figured why not share recipes for healthy meals my family will eat that, according to experts, contain detoxifying ingredients to speeds up healing. From the looks of it I already of a stash of healthy meals that may need a little tweaking but fit the bill. I have put together short list of good and avoid foods for detoxing (according to experts, ie. not me). 

Good
seaweed
onions
garlic
ginger
turmeric
beans & lentils

beets
pineapple
broccoli
lemons
avocados
cabbage
cinnamon
thyme
cranberries


Avoid
dairy
grains containing gluten 

nitrates (found in most sausage, bacon & lunch meats)
animal fats
sugars
alcohol
caffeine


At the bottom of this post I included links to my source information.

I'm happy to see that my family already has the top two avoids under control. The caffeine is going to be a killer. I live on coffee. Got to say I don't see my family embracing the seaweed so don't plan on seeing that in any of my ingredients lists. I have read a lot of detoxing with smoothies, tea's and consuming random things through out the day. These are not for me and I can't imagine most family households that struggle getting a meal on the table that appeals to everyone is hard enough than to add in these new routines with things they don't already have in stock. However, from my perspective, that makes the avoid list all that more important. Plus it may take longer to reap the detox effects, which is OK with me, Its better than wasting money and food.

I am sure there are a lot of beneficial foods that are not on my list, like olive oil and coconut. This list is the most common I found across many experts detox lists. That doesn't make those foods bad they may just not be as detoxifying. Perfect example is the Bone Broth. It's very healthy for brain development but does not help or prevent detox. 

Alright enough with that lets get on with today's recipe. I call this recipe "Stacy's" Garlic Dressing since my awesome friend Stacy shared this recipe with me a few years ago. It uses several cloves of raw garlic with very little oil or vinegar. Its a good thing I have friends that love garlic as much as I do cause after eating this salad dressing you smell of garlic for day's but it is so worth it. My grandmother use to eat a raw garlic clove every day which I thought was weird but really when I think about it now this dressing isn't much different from that.  
Stacy's Garlic Dressing

6 cloves of garlic (fresh not bottled!)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp red wine vinegar

Mince garlic in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper. Whisk in oil and vinegar. Serve over your favorite greens. A little goes a long way.

I think this dressing would be great over shredded cabbage for a coleslaw or on steamed broccoli. If you try this recipe on any thing interesting, leave me a comment and let me know how it tastes.

Thanks for stopping by the nest!

Darla

Source information:
Dr. Oz
Alt medicine
BemBu
Care2
Eat Local Grown

No comments:

Post a Comment