Saturday, June 20, 2015

Spring 2015 KCW - Jammies

As usual I need PJ's for my kids. Kids clothes week is the perfect time to make these since they don't require much of your time and allows for several items verses one very labor intensive item.
Since I have been in pattern book mode, I decided to try out the Growing up Sew Liberated by Meg McEwee again. A couple years ago I made the basic pocket pants/shorts found here and had some problems with the rise of the shorts. After making some adjustments to the pattern they ended up being my son's favorites that summer. I was hoping to yield the same results with the PJ's. The pink and gray shirt & pants are the Crossover TShirt & Sleeping John's in size 5. I used a hot pink rib knit and heather gray interlock from JoAnn Fabric. 
The only change I made was to add hot pink rib knit to the ankles of the Sleeping John's to coordinate with the crossover t. The pants came out great and fit perfectly. The crossover t was a bit big but I'm OK with that since they will still fit next year.
I made the Growing up Sew Liberated envelope shirt in size 18 months for my little Noah. I used the same gray interlock that I used for Hannah's jammies and recycled a old green jersey knit t-shirt. 
I struggled a bit with getting the envelope shoulder right but when I finally figured it out the fit was perfect. I used Maxi-Lock Stretch Thread for the first time and lover it! It is challenging if you need to pull the stitches since it is made up of dozens of gauzy type threads that stretch more than break (which is a good thing). I only have it in white which is why you see it in the zigzag top stitching, Now that I know I love it I'm going to see if it comes in more colors.
I can see making envelope shirt pattern again and again. 
(Noah is not a fan of modeling. I thought photo's of toddlers was challenging.)
Unfortunately, the Growing up Sew Liberated Sleepy John's does not come in infant sizes nor does the pattern book have a baby PJ pants or legging alternative so I self drafted these using one of Noah's other PJ pants and they fit him perfectly.
If anyone else is looking for 18 month PJ pants pattern let me know and I'll send you a PDF of my pattern.

Finally all caught up! Now on to Summer Kids Clothes Week.

Thanks for stopping by the nest!

Darla




No comments:

Post a Comment